Canning Pears Poached in Red Wine
Poached pears in wine are a favorite of ours and are easy to can at home using
this recipe! We put in a little cardamom, cinnamon and nutmeg. Upon opening,
drain and reheat the wine to make a syrup that is delicious when drizzled over
the fruit and vanilla ice cream.
Remember to follow food safety instructions and select blemish free fruit. We
always prefer organic fruit without pesticides. We add lemon juice to most
recipes to help protect the color.
weights are always approximated..
- Peel, quarter and remove the seeds.
- Place clean fruit directly into sterilized canning jars.
- Combine wine and sugar for pints or quarts in a pan, and then heat slowly and simmer
lightly until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Pour hot wine over fruit.
- Canning using cold pack method with 1/2” of headspace.
- Processing with a Water Bath 25 minutes for pints, or 30 minutes for quarts, at 212
- For elevations above 1,000 foot level see Altitude Time Adjustments.
- After processing, remove from boiling water and place the jars on a towel, separated by
1” to cool naturally as quickly as possible.
- Labeling and Storing
A Simple Approach to Preserving Homemade Foods
Follow jar and cap manufacturer's recommendations and instructions and visit their websites for
updates on a regular basis.
Click here to find out more
about our Technical Guide,
If I Can, You Can!™ It will
provide you with simple,
step-by-step instructions for
home canning, illustrated
This file is not intended to be viewed directly using a web browser. To create a viewable file, use the Preview in Browser or Publish to Yahoo! Web Hosting commands from within Yahoo! SiteBuilder.