Making and Canning Mustard Greens
Mustard greens are easy to can at home using this recipe and procedure.
Always select the freshest and youngest greens for canning. Adjust the
salt and add some pepper after opening!
weights are always approximated..
|5% Cider or White Vinegar
|Pressure Canner Processing
- Calculate total ingredients desired using our conversion chart.
- Only use perfect greens for canning.
- Cut-out any hard stems.
- Wash the greens in small batches ensuring all grit and sand are removed.
- Blanch in small batches for 4 minutes, using blanching basket and reserving cooking
liquid for canning.
- Pour vinegar and salt into jars.
- Canning using hot pack method with 1” of headspace, and then adding boiling water,
maintaining 1" headspace.
- Processing with a Pressure Canner 70 minutes for pints, or 90 minutes for quarts, at
11 pounds, or 10 pounds for a weighted gauge.
- For elevations above 1,000 foot level see Altitude Time Adjustments.
- After processing, remove from boiling water and place the jars on a towel, separated
by 1” to cool naturally.
- Labeling and Storing
A Simple Approach to Preserving Homemade Foods
Follow jar and cap manufacturer's recommendations and instructions and visit their websites
for updates on a regular basis.
Click here to find out
more about our
Technical Guide, If I
Can, You Can!™ It will
provide you with simple,
for home canning, and is
This file is not intended to be viewed directly using a web browser. To create a viewable file, use the Preview in Browser or Publish to Yahoo! Web Hosting commands from within Yahoo! SiteBuilder.