Making and Canning Spinach
Spinach is easy to can at home using this recipe and procedure. Always
select the freshest and youngest greens for canning.
weights are always approximated..
|Lemon Juice or 5% Vinegar
|Pressure Canner Processing
- Calculate total ingredients desired using our conversion chart.
- Only use perfect greens for canning.
- Cut-out any hard stems.
- Wash the spinach in small batches ensuring all grit and sand are removed.
- Blanch in small batches for 4 minutes, using blanching basket and reserving cooking
liquid for canning.
- Pour lemon juice or vinegar and salt into jars.
- Canning using hot pack method with 1” of headspace, and then adding boiling water,
maintaining 1" headspace.
- Processing with a Pressure Canner 70 minutes for pints, or 90 minutes for quarts, at 11
pounds, or 10 pounds for a weighted gauge.
- For elevations above 1,000 foot level see Altitude Time Adjustments.
- After processing, remove from boiling water and place the jars on a towel, separated
by 1” to cool naturally.
- Labeling and Storing
A Simple Approach to Preserving Homemade Foods
Follow jar and cap manufacturer's recommendations and instructions and visit their websites
for updates on a regular basis.
Click here to find out
more about our
Technical Guide, If I
Can, You Can!™ It will
provide you with simple,
for home canning, and is
This file is not intended to be viewed directly using a web browser. To create a viewable file, use the Preview in Browser or Publish to Yahoo! Web Hosting commands from within Yahoo! SiteBuilder.