Making and Canning Okra
Okra is easy to can at home using this recipe and procedure. Always
select the freshest and youngest pods for canning.
weights are always approximated..
|Pressure Canner Processing
- Calculate total ingredients desired using our conversion chart.
- Only use perfect vegetables for canning.
- Trim and wash the okra.
- Leave whole or cut as desired.
- Blanch 2 minutes, reserving cooking liquid for canning.
- Pour lemon juice and salt into jars.
- Canning using cold pack method with 1” of headspace, and then adding boiling
water, maintaining 1" headspace.
- Processing with a Pressure Canner 25 minutes for pints, or 40 minutes for quarts,
at 11 pounds, or 10 pounds for a weighted gauge.
- For elevations above 1,000 foot level see Altitude Time Adjustments.
- After processing, remove from boiling water and place the jars on a towel,
separated by 1” to cool naturally.
- Labeling and Storing
A Simple Approach to Preserving Homemade Foods
Follow jar and cap manufacturer's recommendations and instructions and visit their
websites for updates on a regular basis.
Click here to find out
more about our
Technical Guide, If I
Can, You Can!™ It will
provide you with simple,
for home canning, and is
This file is not intended to be viewed directly using a web browser. To create a viewable file, use the Preview in Browser or Publish to Yahoo! Web Hosting commands from within Yahoo! SiteBuilder.