Winter Squash is easy to can at home using this procedure. It should not be
puréed or mashed before canning.
Canning Winter Squash
weights are always approximated..
|Pressure Canner Processing
- Calculate total ingredients desired using our conversion chart.
- Wash, remove seeds, peel and cut into 1" slices.
- Blanch for two minutes and reserve cooking liquid for canning.
- Put lemon juice in jars.
- Canning using hot pack method with 1” of headspace.
- Pour cooking liquid over squash, maintaining 1" headspace.
- Processing with a Pressure Canner 55 minutes for pints, or 90 minutes for quarts, at 11
pounds, or 10 pounds for a weighted gauge.
- For elevations above 1,000 foot level see Altitude Time Adjustments.
- After processing, remove from boiling water and place the jars on a towel, separated
by 1” to cool naturally.
- Labeling and Storing
A Simple Approach to Preserving Homemade Foods
Follow jar and cap manufacturer's recommendations and instructions
and visit their websites for updates on a regular basis.
If I Can, You Can!™ It will
provide you with simple,
step-by-step instructions for
home canning, illustrated
This file is not intended to be viewed directly using a web browser. To create a viewable file, use the Preview in Browser or Publish to Yahoo! Web Hosting commands from within Yahoo! SiteBuilder.