Making and Canning Homemade Tomato Sauce with Herbs
Canning tomato sauce at home is easy and safe using this classic tomato sauce
recipe and the step-by-step canning instructions and water bath processing time on
the following page.
Click here to find out
more about our
Technical Guide, If I
Can, You Can!™ It will
provide you with simple,
for home canning, and is
|Ingredients for 18 pints or 9 quarts:
||6 large whole
||2 pounds diced
|Red Wine (Optional)
||1 bottle (75 cl.)
|Herbs (oregano, rosemary or basil)
||Only for canning
A Simple Approach to Preserving Homemade Foods
- If desired, blanch and peel tomatoes
- Coarsely chop tomatoes and put them into a bowl.
- Chop onions and then sauté onions with optional garlic in olive oil until translucent.
For large canning batch this will take about 15 minutes
- When onions are done, add chopped tomatoes.
- Add optional wine and herbs.
- Stir well and bring the entire pot to an even slow simmer.
- Simmer until reduced by one third (approx. 2 hours for canning)
- For canning, mix in lemon juice and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Can immediately using canning and processing instructions on the following page.
This file is not intended to be viewed directly using a web browser. To create a viewable file, use the Preview in Browser or Publish to Yahoo! Web Hosting commands from within Yahoo! SiteBuilder.